Monday, April 23, 2012

Serenity Prayer for Non-Theists

As a double winner (member of both AA and Al-Anon) who is also an atheist I get asked how I deal with the theistic nature of both programs spiritual principals. One of the ways I do so is to rephrase things in light of a non-theistic Buddhist practice. Buddhism is non-theistic, leaving the individual practioners to decide for themselves about the reality of god or gods. As the Buddha said, “God exists, god does not exist; the matter of your enlightenment remains the same.”
One of the things I do is to retool the wonderful Serenity Prayer,  written by Reinhold Niebuhr

Serenity Affirmation for Non-Theists
May my practice grant me the serenity,
To accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can
And wisdom to know the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment